Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Aunt Ruby's Peach Cobbler

I have made Aunt Ruby's Peach Cobbler at least 100 times and it was always delicious. This past weekend I decided to give my husband a treat and make it. I looked for the recipe and couldn't find it but felt confident that I remembered it. Aunt Ruby used to say "It is just 2,2,2" meaning 2 cups of everything - peaches, flour, milk and sugar with one stick of butter. I was preoccupied with Squidoo and that is not a good mixture for cooking. I wasn't thinking and used the 1/2 cup measurer that was in the flour as 1 cup and then when I realized it, I tried to add more flour to get it right. I kept going back to my computer to check to see if I had any traffic on my 3 lenses and really didn't have my heart into the cobbler at all. I stuck it in the oven and went back to Squidoo. When I opened the oven door to check it, I was shocked to find that it had overflowed the dish and left what my husband said looked like the Michelin Tire man in the bottom of the oven. Yes, I am serious. There was a pretty tall glob of dough cooking at the bottom and the dish looked like a volcano had erupted. I pulled it out and it was a big mess to say the least. I wondered what Aunt Ruby would have said about that. Then a feeling of sheer comfort came over me as I thought about my wonderful Aunt Ruby and knew that she would have just hugged my neck and said, "Don't worry. It will still taste good". It must have because my husband just about ate the whole thing and had lots of fun teasing me.

1 comment:

Joan Adams said...

Funny! and yes, Aunt Ruby would have comforted you! Glad I don't have to clean that oven! But wish I had been there to eat some cobbler!! Sounds great!