Thursday, October 30, 2008

TRIBUTE TO FRAN BUTLER

TRIBUTE TO FRAN BUTLER
Memorial Service – 10/28/08 – Cox Hall Clemson Little Theatre 6:30 pm- Pendleton SC

George Bernard Shaw said “I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live”

Fran Butler gave to his community and did it in a quiet, tireless fashion.

He was very active in “Friends of the Park” and attended almost every meeting – He did miss a few when he and Caroline, his soul mate, would sneak out of town to get away from me……..

You see, I learned very quickly that I could always count on them to fill a volunteer slot and I would know that they would do an excellent job and do it cheerfully!

At the meetings, Fran would sit quietly and as Joan Kelly says “ When he opened his mouth, everyone would get quiet because you knew what he was about to say was important and wise.”

Saturday was National Make A Difference Day, the largest national day of helping others.

Fran Butler made a difference in Pendleton. He was one man making a difference to many for generations to come:

• He was among a group that worked for weeks ahead of time getting the park area ready for Build Week under the direction of Ed Kirkley.

• Fran along with Pete, Willis and Richard cut out all those little turtles that are in the playground that were painted by the children.

• He worked on the Shelters and Benches that are along Trotter’s Trail.

• He sold many shirts and throws to raise money for the park.

• He played the part of “Uncle Sam” for Freedom Fest and was perfect!

• Caroline and Fran were voted the “2008 Volunteers of the Year”



Dr. Loren Eisely, author and anthropologist, tells this true story:

One day I was walking a beach when I saw another man coming the other way who appeared to be dancing. As I drew nearer I could see the man was not dancing but was gently picking up starfish from the beach and throwing them back into the sea.

“why are you throwing starfish into the sea?” I asked.

Because they have been washed ashore, the day is getting hot and if I do not throw them back they will die.” Replied the dancer.

I looked around and saw that the beach went on for miles and that there were many thousands of starfish along its length.

But there are too many, I protested to the dancer “you can’t possibly make a difference.”

The dancer smiled, picked up another starfish and gently tossed it beyond the waves, back into the sea.

“I made a difference to that one!” he said.



Fran Butler made a difference!



Now Fran may think that he will no longer be hearing from me asking him to volunteer but he is wrong:

I have put in a prayer request that Fran be made Senior Chairman of the Veterans Park Guardian Angels Committee.

We’re in good hands!

Thank you, Fran!

No comments: